A visit to Bazar Fahaheel

There's few infamous place in Q8 if you wanted to get affordable abaya that I know off, so far. Among the famous places are Bazar Fahah...

There's few infamous place in Q8 if you wanted to get affordable abaya that I know off, so far. Among the famous places are Bazar Fahaheel, Bazar in front Ajyal Mall ( I have no idea what's the bazar called), Salmiya City Centre, Kuwait Magic and Souk Mubarakiya. Of course they're like thousands of shops and boutique selling abaya can be found all around Q8, hence I bold the word affordable :). However my definition of affordable may vary from others out there so it is safer to say that by saying affordable, I meant abaya below KD 30. I've been to Bazar Fahaheel and Salmiya but haven't yet reached the other two. Insya allah I will soon.


In the mean time, I wanted to share my bit of experience visiting Bazar Fahaheel the other day.

{ Always love shopping even if it's not for me. Here I am playing the role of retail assistant cum model to Ati as she need to get few abaya as souvenir untuk orang orang kampung but too lazy to try it on. Anything that have to do with play dress up in hundred nice clothes, U can always count on me. I'll do it free of charge :) }

By far, Bazar Fahaheel offered most range of affordable abaya, in my opinion. Maybe due to the fact that it was located in less elite area compared to others. The bazar itself was only a simple old shady looking building without fancy interior and marbled floor but hey ! I think that's the reason why they can sell their abaya with lower price. U know what people say about buying things in fancy high end mall. U actually paying for the rent rather the product itself :).

About the range of abaya offered here, I can say that it's not bad at all. U can really find a good catch if you keep looking under the pile and stack and most importantly, they're cheap. It is definitely not the most comfortable place in whole Q8, however it is clean and air-conditioned. That's all I'm asking for.

{ Erin waiting patiently for mummy done with abaya testing and bargaining}

{ I got my 1st abaya here. The one I wore to Mais Alghanim iftar event. The shop assistant was Indonesian married bangladesh lady. She speaks fluent Arabic. I learnt quite a few Arab words from her}

{ That's Niti, my indonesian friend. U know I'm very easy to make friends kinda of person and this lady was no exception. We became quite close after 1st meet, she sometimes texting or calling me just to say hi. She even invited us to her house on Eidul Fitri. She will be cooking Bakso. hmmmmmm. On more serious note, Why do I looked as if I'm 3 months pregnant in this picture? Hubby need to be reminded about angle.}

Just for info, it is advisable to come here with your partner, as in man as this area was sitting quite top in Q8 high crime rate list. If putting something into comparison, I shall say it's like Chow Kit or Jln TAR area. Just few days before this, one of Malaysian fellow here almost got robbed by 2 man dressed up Kuwaitis like. They might be Kuwaiti and they might be expat impost as Kuwaiti, u know to camouflage their real image. Only Allah knows better. Another famous crime in this area was rape. Scary huhhhh...However, it's our husband that need to worry about this as they targeted man instead of woman. Subhanallah, may Allah protect us from any bad intentions.

Apart from it's negativity, it is a nice place with a lot of dining place for u to indulge and a long stretch of shops for you to spent if you want to. I hope you feel safer when I say this, there will be always police officer patrolling this area in their patrol car, so should any crime occur, they should be just a minutes away.

Few insider tip I managed to gained :

  • Normally the abaya price will be differentiate by who the buyer is. If kuwaitis, the price will be different compared to non-kuwaiti. Of course the Kuwaiti price will be higher than us , the foreigner. I've experienced this myself hence I dare to point this out. Let just put it this way. For the same abaya, the price will start from KD 30 and above for Kuwaiti but if foreigner wanted the same piece, the price could be lower, say about KD 10-KD15, depends on design and type of fabric. This arrangement was made by the shop's owner her/himself ( Kuwaiti of course), as was told by one of the assistant to me.

  • Most shop offers free alteration service. If you're told otherwise, try your bargain skill. They're not going to kill you for bargaining. Mostly they will agree with our price, U just know how to sell yourself. I always getting free alteration even if the seller told me it's chargeable at 1st.

  • Most of them seller have tailor somewhere nearby, hence they can alter your clothes within 20-30 minutes time. U dun have to come back the other day, just walking around and feast your eyes with thousand selections of abaya around, and your abaya will be ready before u knew it.

  • If you wanted to custom made your abaya, it will take up to 3 days longest to get it ready. Even during peak season. I ordered my abaya last week, exactly a week before raya and it was ready 3 days after that. If at Malaysia, a week before raya means u'll get only ready made baju that dun really fit you. It's either too labuh or too tight or in color that doesn't match the rest of your family. Finally, no more order-close-2-months-before-raya thingy. Even my husband dushdasha ( jubah for men) ready within 3 days.

I guess that's all about it. I'll post about another abaya place later when I had the chance to actually visit them. Till then, a Ramadhan post will never be complete without food photo, not?








{ Ketam masak Cili Api. Instead of having normal thin-light gravy as my lemak always did, I added an egg into the gravy a minute before I turned the cooker off. The gravy will taste more lemak and the egg will make the gravy more mesra with them crab. It helped the gravy to coat and stick to the crab better, resorting to nicer result. Alis and Erin loved to isap2 and sedut kuah kuah ketam from the legs instead of eating the flesh, so bile kuah de melekat2 camni, lg laju memasing. Tips learnt from Ati :) }


{ Udang masak gulai padang with kacang panjang. The other day I cooked with chicken and potato, this time I tried it out using prawn. It tasted nice nonetheles I shall say}

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images