In pursuit of eating healthy, getting healthy and being healthy

"A diet is when you watch what you eat and wish you could eat what you watch." — Hermione Gingold "The biggest seller is cook...

"A diet is when you watch what you eat and wish you could eat what you watch."
— Hermione Gingold

"The biggest seller is cookbooks and the second is diet books—how not to eat what you've just learned how to cook."
— Andy Rooney

It is never easy to excel in diet. Starting a diet regime is never a problem for anyone but maintaining it takes up a lot of hardwork, tears, sweat and blood. I am dramatic like that hahaha.. This is the reason why to most people the second day of a diet is always easier than the first. Simply because by the second day they're off it hahaha.

Me myself have had experiencing dealing and struggling with post delivery excess stubborn fat. To my humble experience, it is never easy to shed those excess baggage you're having until you willing to sacrifice and pledged to not indulge whatever you desire and really watch you food intake, errrr and exercise. I never had neither formal nor informal exercise my whole life. Be it gym or aerobic ! I'm just too busy for any of that so I can say that my daily exercises was coming from my daily routine. Carry two small kids with handbag plus nursery bag coming down and going up stairs is one form of exercise too. Walking from parking lot to your lift lobby can also help if doing it daily and regularly. However my most calories was burn by doing hoise chores I guess. Maintaining a home with two small kids without help from husband needs a lot of energy and it's worked wonders in burning off my unwanted calories and fats.

Back to the topic, I actualy wanted to share with you some baby steps I'm taking currently in order to make sure my family was well fed with healthy, heart content and nutritious food. You are what you eat!

I have 2 small kids whom needs their daily carbs to help them grow and two adults that really in needs of shedding some inches and kilos where carbs are main enemy. So what do I do now ? Well in order to make sure I prepare well balanced diet to my family, I would make sure to prepare at least one meal with rice everyday. Each day there'll be rice plus one meat plus one vege menu for the kids alternately between lunch and dinner.

Below are few humble rice-less menu I managed to prepare recently..




Sardine rolls. Hahah I know I know ! Fried food aite? Well, let see.. I use only spoonful of sunflower oil for frying, omega egg for coating and kitchen tower to absorb excessive oil.. I'm trying my best here okkayyyy.. We'll get there someday Insya allah...




Bahan bahan hiasan untuk laksa penang.




Laksa penang. My husband commented : Laksa orang warna coklat, laksa mummy kemerah merahan. I replied : Nak buat guano bini orang Johor, takdop pedas sehari tak sahhh.. Kah kah kah..

Anyway, eating spicy food is good to those who were on diet cause spicy food will encourage perspiration and resulting you to drinks a lot of water. In my husband case, it's good for his diet because he will end up going to toilet more than usual after consuming spicy food heheh.. Perut tak tahan pedas cenggituh laa ...




Home made Sausage and Cheese Pizza. I dun think pizza is considered healthy food hehe. I made this for kids lunch. I only ate 2 pieces ( onlyyyy yer hahah ) and my husband eat none cause he's at work.




Cucur Udang. Healthyyyyyyy sangat la fried food muahahaha. Errr if I fried using sunflower oil, it will still be consider as healthy kan kan kan kannn :)




Sila lah jangan percaya when I said I only eat these few bites only.

Save the best for the last....



Percayalah this menu sangatttt healthy. Chinese style steamed golden pomfret - without flash


With flash !

Which one looked better? I think both muahahahah...

Anyway, as to date, I've been trying thousands of steamed fish recipe found on internet and experimenting using a lot of different fish. Pomfret, garoupa, kembung, siakap.. U name it. None of the recipe I've tried give me those This Is It feeling. Always there's something missing somewhere eventhough I've been following the recipe line by line, words to words. It's so frustrating. Well today my misery ended as I think I found one recipe that according to my husband, near perfection... Chewahhhhh...

I use this recipe as a basic from Poh's Kitchen

INGREDIENTS

1 kg whole white fish (barramundi, baby red snapper, coral trout)
2 tbs shaoxin rice wine
2 tbs light soy
1 tbs ginger, chopped finely
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbs peanut or vegetable oil
2 to 3 spring onions, shredded diagonally (soak in ice water if you want beautiful curly tendrils but not necessary)
3 tbs ginger, shredded as finely as possible (like hair)
Freshly ground white pepper
A dozen sprigs of coriander

METHOD
Place fish on a large plate and slit three times (at 3cm intervals) to the bone on both sides of fish. Spoon over mixture of rice wine, soy, chopped ginger and sesame, massage gently over entire fish. Marinate in fridge for ten minutes.
Place fish on a plate. Balance plate on a metal trivet in a wok and steam covered over simmering water for five to eight minutes. To test if fish is cooked insert a small sharp knife into the thickest part of the flesh and part gently. If the flesh is not pink and translucent it is cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
Heat peanut oil in a hot wok till smoking. Sprinkle fish with spring onions, shredded ginger and pepper then slowly pour hot oil over fish to crisp the skin up and scald the aromatics. Garnish generously with sprigs of coriander. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.

Anyway, I made few adjustment to suit my tekak melayu tastebud. Those few ammendments are :

- lepas ikan dah bersih, I marinade the fish for about 20 minutes with 3 bijik garlic di blend with 1cm halia, 1 sudu teh sos ikan, 1 sudu teh light soy sauce, 1 sudu teh sos tiram dan 1 sudu teh minyak bijan. Tabur garam sikit on both side of the fish and let them be.

- bile steamer dah ready, tabur serai yang di hiris nipis, daun ketumbar, daun bawang, cili padi ikut ketahanan perut dan terus la steam. Boley letak cendawan or any vege up to your liking. I didn't put because my husband doesn't like it.

- bile ikan dah hampir masak, panaskan peanut oil or in my case, takde peanut oil so guna jek minyak sayuran or minyak masak. Tumis bawang merah/kecil yang di hiris nipis, bawang putih yang di hiris nipis dan halia yang di hiris nipis.. Once dah layu, tuang dgn minyak2 skali atas ikan anda.

Sekiannnn...

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images