Arabic lesson

If you are an avid follower ( statement perasan ) of this virtual space of mine, or at least have read an entry or two, you must have known...

If you are an avid follower (statement perasan ) of this virtual space of mine, or at least have read an entry or two, you must have known of how I've always wanted to learn Arabic. Actually I've always wanted to learn second language. Any language will do. I think people whom able to converse in more than 2 languages is simply awesome. The type of language changed as I grew up. When I was in my primary, I wanted to learn Japanese and Korean thanks to the influences of Chiaki, Moero Attack, Oyuki, Oshin, Ms Comet. Kah kah kah.... Then my preferences slightly changed in my teen years to Mandarin and Kantonis because of Leon Lai Meng in The Legendary Ranger. During 80's, chinese drama was a hit. As of now, given my situation, my status as a mother, my awareness and determination to become a better Muslimah, there's no other language fascinates me more than the language of Quran.

I enrolled myself in Arabic Class end of last September at IPC ( Islam Presentation Committee) Mangaf branch, near my home. IPC is similar like PERKIM in Malaysia. They offered free classes for Islamic studies, Arabic and Quran lesson and also New Muslim class. You just need to pay KD 5 as a refundable deposit during registration. They'll take the deposit if you were found absence from class more than 4 times without valid reason.

It's been 3 classes so far and I'd never thought going back to school can be this exciting. I should do this sooner I supposed but it's be better late then never.

Speaking of late, Alis also started her Arabic class at school recently, almost the same time with me. In my class, there's a lot of foreigner like Spanish, British, Indian, Philippino and American so unlike us, muslim student, they didn't have the basic at all. So yeah, I had to repeat my Muqaddam session all over again but I didn't mind at all.

Last week as I was doing my "homework", Alis who just came back from school told me she have Arabic homework too.


This is her homework.....







And this is mine.....





It's sooooo freaking hilarious that we had exactly the same homework I can't help but laughing my butt out. When I was blessed with 2 girls, I had imagine of doing many stuffs together with them like shopping, mani-pedi and all sorts of girly thingy in future but trust me, having SAME homework , at the SAME time was never a part of it.

One among many reasons of why I decided to learn Arabic was I am hoping I could at least share the knowledge I gained with my kids for their own benefit. Furthermore, since Alis had started schooling, I was thinking that I should at least know some Arabic in order to help her with her homework later.

I guess the table had turned. On the contrary, she's the one with more Arabic vocabs now. You know how kids learn things fast. She taught me shams is sun.. I knew the famous Arabic's song Nour-el-Shams but I didn't knew shams was sun if it wasn't for her. Looking at the rate she's going, I think pretty soon, the situation will be more like she's helping me with my homework instead of me helping her. There's few more words she mentioned but we've gotten into argument when she said Rabbit is Arnab in Arabic. I told her Arnab is Rabbit in Malay but not arabic. I didn't know what rabbit in arab but I'm dead sure it wasn't arnab. My husband once told me that some Arabic words are similar to Malay. To name a few sabun is also called sabun here. Awal, akhir, dewan, kitab were also among arabic words that used widely in malay language but I never heard of arnab being used here.

Thing gotten pretty tensed and heated up since we both was firm with our points. Finally, to prove me wrong she showed me her book......

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.






I was speechless! I am lost for word. It took me few minutes to realize that I just lost to 5 years old over an argument about rabbit.

Have you ever been in a situation where you wish you had a shell so you could hide your face inside it just like tortoise? Or have you ever wish you could just disappear into thin air because you're just too embarrass to face your opponent ?

Yeaapppppp been there!





You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Flickr Images