Day 2 : Fort Galle & Unawatuna Beach

Morning all... Early bird catch the fattest, juiciest worm... We begin our Day 2 with early breakfast at the hotel restaurant. With a view l...


Morning all... Early bird catch the fattest, juiciest worm... We begin our Day 2 with early breakfast at the hotel restaurant.


With a view like this for breakfast, plain omelete tasted like gold I tell you. I am usually a heavy-breakfast kinda person. I took Nasi Lemak with sambal udang everyday, without failed when I was working @ Cyberjaya. The lightest brekkie for me was meehun goreng. Anyway, they don't have Nasi Lemak nor meehun goreng here, plus their restaurant wasn't halal so we have very limited choices to pick. They do have vege meal prepared for vegan. And they also have large variety of breads, tosei and hopper ( putu mayam). Anyway, their croissant, cheese bun and butter here are to die for so we ate a lot of that. I finish like half basket on my own.


De Silva came shortly after we finished and we make a move to Galle Fort and Galle New town. Why new town? Because the old town was totally damaged, washed away by Boxing Day Tsunami so basically most of the buildings in the small town was newly built, to replaced the damaged one. Luckily their historical building and old fort still standing strong.

I'm not going to start on the historical preach because me myself wasn't so much a history junkie. I just wanted to share with you the beauty of this old dutch fort from my personal view...

:: Some of the buildings here are still belongs to Government of Netherlands, hence any refurbishment act, even a painting job will need approval from them ::

:: Three wheeler/tuk tuk/bajaa.. whatever lah.. It's referring to the same thing ::



:: After Dutch, British took over the control on Galle, explained the mixture of Dutch, Europian and colonial style ::

:: Lighthouse ::

:: National Maritime Museum. Not much photo because photographing wasn't allowed in here and we didn't know. Basically this is where they kept all the antiques, artifacts and finding from 21 historical shipwreck sites around Galle Harbour. Some of the artifacts was so sensitive they had their own thermometer to control the temperature inside the glass box ::

:: We were welcome by this lil' Mr Gate Keeper when we arrived at Moon Bastion ::

:: Clock Tower at Moon Bastion ::

:: Hurrayyyyyy ::


:: Us at the highest area of the fort ::

:: It's very hot yet windy plus we were harassed by local sellers to the point of annoying ::

:: I might look like tourist wannabe, striking some touristy pose, with my tourist hat somemore ha ha ha. Truth be told, I was looking for my kids when my husband snapped this. They're beyond control here, running around the huge meadow picking up wild flowers ::


This guy was actually asking money from the tourists and in returned, he'll jump from the fort to the open sea. Of course he won't jump if the money collected wasn't reached his minimum target. I was there for quite sometime and he doesn't look like he's going to jump anytime soon. I reckon, he still have long way to reach his daily target.

****I don't really like to talk about bad, negatives things in my blog but hey, people need to know this so they can be prepared. ****

As I mentioned earlier, there's a lot of local sellers selling handmade cotton dresses, table cloth, souvenirs, key chain and whatnot. I don't mind sellers, plus we can actually get a good bargain from them. It just that they kept following us, pestering and harassing us, to the point of forcing. All of them came with very same story, that they're the victim of tsunami and they are the only survivor in family. I have no intention whatsoever to accuse them of lying. They might be telling the truth and my heart really goes out to them but really, when I started buying from one of them, the rest started being aggressive and forcing me to buy theirs too. At some point, I reached my limit and kinda raise my voice asking them to back off since not only they affected my mood since I can't enjoy the scenic view, they actually scaring my girls. You think I really wanna buy that topi mengkuang? Well, this wasn't my first experience handling thing like this. I ( and you might too ) have had the same experiences when visiting Tangkuban Perahu in Bandung. All I can say, having the same experiences twice doesn't lessen the level of annoyance I felt.

After spending around few hours around the fort, we took a break at for drinks and because hubby need to use Wifi.

As I told in the previous post, we planned to stay at Galle for 4 days. Based on my research, Sri Lanka have two major different climate and both were highly recommended to visit. Their coastal side and their uphill country. Nonetheless, we have only 4 days to spare and based on my calculation, it won't be practical for us to travel from one location to another due to the distance involved. From the way I see it, we have to choose which one we preferred and we chose coastal side. However, our guide have better suggestions. He told us that since we already arriving Sri Lanka, and might never come back, he can't let us leave Sri Lanka without letting us experience what Sri Lanka has to offered. Since we can't fit everything in 4 days, he chose few activities suitable for our family.

Simply put, we need to cancelled our remaining 2 nights at Jetwing because we're proceeding North, to an uphill country tomorrow. That is why my husband need to use WiFi hehe. Because he need to make online cancellation since we made our reservation via booking.com.



:: Can u see the orange-brownish juice in front my husband? It was written in the menu as Wood Apple. De Silva pronounced it as Wudapel. My kids love apple juice so I ordered this for them. Anyway they refuse to drink it as you can see, Erin resorted to take over my pepsi instead. Since I have a weak stomach and even weaker and picky taste bud, I asked my husband to taste it. My husband said : It tasted like rotten apple ha ha ha ::

:: This is wood apple. Sure enough, they doesn't look and taste anything like apple heheh. This fruits is very famous in Sri Lanka and considered a healthy drinks. Hmmmmmm obviously they're not meant for us ::



:: The restaurant where we stopped for some refreshments. It's located in the coastal stretch, facing the fort ::


We headed back to hotel after this, for lunch, for pray, to refresh ourselves and so that kids could take their afternoon nap. We're going to spend our whole afternoon and evening at the beach.



:: Ready for their beach fix. Well-fed and well-rested kids are happy kids ::


We're headed to Unawatuna beach, around 20 minutes from our hotel. It was among the most beautiful beach in the world. Since the tide was pretty strong, their water are more suitable for surfers rather than swimmers but that doesn't stop my kids apparently.

:: Some local surfers in action ::









I wasn't into swimming. I'm more into relaxing, observing and taking charge of our personal stuffs, you know the common role of mak mak orang :).. There's so many restaurant by the beach you can chose. I really like the concept here. You can actually leave your belongings at the restaurant without worrying that it might get stolen because the restaurant staff will help to keep an eye on ur stuffs and you can go doing whatever you feel like too. You can swim, surf or took on a boat ride to the open sea, come back to the restaurant, ordered a juice, take a sip and jump into water again. They have changing and shower room for guests and they even provide novels for those who feels like catching up on some reading.

My cousin was here last Xmas and she highly recommended a restaurant called Kingfisher and specifically asking me to try their signature drink called Apple Lime. Unfortunately, we were there on Monday and KingFisher wasn't open that particular day. De Silva recommended another restaurant nearby called Happy Banana, and I must say, it's a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty sure Kingfisher have set the bar pretty high for standard of seafood in this area. Nevertheless, Happy Banana was not bad at all. They had fresh cheap seafood, I meant dirt cheap...great meal, friendly staffs and great view. It's all I ever asked for..


:: Nice gazebo ::


:: Inseparable , Alis and sands ::


:: View from my seat. Sweet-thick mango juice, super nice weather-it's windy 24*7 in Galle, relaxing ambiance, hearing my kids laughter.. perfect combo. For once, I felt like I have no worries in the world ::





While the kids playing and swimming, the waiter approached me with a tray full of fresh seafood for me to pick.






:: Sunset @ Unawatuna Beach ::


:: Even after they had change to dry clothes, they can't resist playing with the sand again... Duhhhh ::




:: Us @ our dinner table ::



Then the most awaited moments came...


:: 1/2 kilo fresh lobster sizzling in garlic sauce ::


:: Singapore Chilli Crab with Sri Lanka yellow rice ::


:: Mine without a doubt. King prawn in spicy garlic sauce. There were like 8-9 huge juicy prawns in this plate, by the time I finished all up, I am out of breath heheheh ::

:: Alis's Napolitan spaghetti. This portion was big enough for 2 adults, yet Alis finished it in a split second. Not sure because sedap sangat ker or sebab lapar lepas mandi manda. She said sedap gilerrrrrr when I asked her. On another hand, Erin practically have a bit of everything ::


:: The aftermath. Believe it or not, all of the foods above plus juices and water costs us only RM 170. Such a steal ! Too bad we could only have one seafood night here. Given another opportunity to come again, I'll make sure to pay a visit to KingFisher ::


We headed back to our hotel feeling blessed and bloated only to found nice surprise awaits for us at our room. Apparently our butler came to visit while we were out and left freshly made chocolate cookies for our midnight snack. The cookies taste like cookies, but the way he placed it was out of ordinary. You know, if he left it in a plate and put it on top of our table, then I wouldn't find it extra special. What makes it special was, he left it on our bed, on our duvet to be exact. He neatly folded 4 corners of our duvet and placed the cookies on a fresh pieces of banana leaves, on top of the folded duvet. How thoughtful ... Definitely made our day..




Since this was our last night here at Galle, we decided to enjoy it to the fullest. First, let's have our jacuzzi session. I lighten up the candle provided by the hotel, switchedthe lights to dim mode, poured 2 bottles of bubble bath and the jacuzzi is ready. Sapa kata berempat tak romantik? Sapa? Sapa? Hahahahaha...


:: Lilin yang masih belum menyala ::

:: Berdua.. Baki lagi dua belom join lg masa nih ::


After jacuzzi, suddenly everyone felt hungry despite our hearty dinner earlier. So we ordered room service and enjoy our snacks at the verandah. Definitely the best way to end our day..




I told Alis that we're going to Safari the next day so she need to sleep early. She nodded but I can see that she had something in her mind. Slowly she got up and headed to living room, took a book provided by hotel and started flipping it's pages..












" Sebab esok kite nak tengok gajah, kakak nak study pasal gajah lahhhh "












Definitely not one of my trait this one kah kah kah.....





Next post ........ Yala Safari Tour !!!!!

Do come back yeah .............







































You Might Also Like

2 thoughts

Flickr Images