Sri Lanka getaway - Circling Colombo

Separuh masa pertama... We boarded Sri Lankan Airlines @5 pm (local Q8's time) and reached Bandaranaike International Airport around 5 a...

Separuh masa pertama...


We boarded Sri Lankan Airlines @5 pm (local Q8's time) and reached Bandaranaike International Airport around 5 am (Sri Lanka's time). Sri Lanka was 3 hours behind Msian time. We immediately bought Dialog prepaid card from the airport booth and called our tour guide. Since our hotel check in time was around 2pm, we had lots of time to waste before heading to Galle hence we en-route to Colombo, around 1/2 hour from airport for sight seeing.


:: @ Our apartment lobby ::

:: Our ride for 5 days. We were fetched using the gold color Nissan but since it was manual, our guide got it changed to automatic white Nissan belonged to his brother, also a tour guide under the same travel company. This is because we're going to uphill country in the later part of our trip, hence auto car would me more convenient for the driver ::

Firstly, we requested for our guide to stop somewhere so we could have a breakfast. I was imagining our 1st breakfast to be in some famous local paratha shop located in some corner of Colombo City. Unexpectedly, the guide stopped his car at Coffee Bean. Aiiyyaaa there goes my roti canai dream kah kah kah. Takpe lah, esok masih ade kot. Anyway, being in Sri Lanka, it would be only natural to order their infamous Ceylon Tea.





:: Mine! Kekecewaan tak dapat makan paratha terubat sudah. I felt better already ::



:: The girls with their chocolate shake. Alis over betul! Siap bershawl bagai eh.. Feeling2 kat London ker makcik? ::



Anyway, as per my previous post, I did mentioned about doing some research on my own and came out with my own personalized place-to-go-stuffs-to-do-and-things-to-buy list. Sure enough my list was everything but short and a short glance at it made my husband shake his head of disapproval. Will it stop me? Never heh heh heh.



:: Sneak peak on FIRST PAGE of my list. Alis had to made little sacrifice by giving me few pages of her Hello Kitty notebook. As u can see, the smaller the paper is, the better so I could just slip it on my jeans pocket or something ::

Once we're done with our breakfast, we made our way into Colombo City. Before coming, my husband had a chat with his Sri Lankan office mate and also one of cab driver whom we were quite close with about Colombo. You know, it will always better to get an insider tips so we would know what to expect. Both of them came up with same story which is Colombo is dirty. Don't go Colombo. You know what, I can't help but believing lah kan since the things came from a local people who was born and bred there. Based on the info fed to us, we decided not to stay in Colombo but just transit for few hours before proceeding to Galle, about 4 hours from Colombo.

Did I regret it? Yes you bet. It was nothing like what I had in mind. Infact, it was very very very clean. It was cleaner than KL or Fahaheel in comparison. They even have environment police on duty. I wish I could take their picture but the car was moving pretty fast so all I got was this blurry picture.

The fact that Colombo just recently had war of course worried me to my core. However, they're so many soldiers in every corner of the city, so many check points we had to by pass, probably every 50 meters makes me felt safe and secured.

Colombo to me, was not as modern as KL, or Kuwait City but there's something about the originality that amazed me. Another thing that caught my attention was the people. I've been reading soooo many reviews about Sri Lanka online and almost all reviews said about this very same thing. Sri Lanka people's hospitality! They always smile, very polite, waves to us and always very helpful. I certainly felt welcoming. Every time our driver stops by the roadside to ask about something, by-passers always more than willing to help and they looked very sincere too. You'll definitely can sense if somebody helping you out for something in return but in here, they just wonderfully sincere.

There's one incident happened in the middle of our trip where our driver made a stop at one workshop in the middle of nowhere to service the car as we're going to travel quite a distant after that. It's so happened that at that moment, me and Erin had this urge to go to toilet but apparently there's no public toilet anywhere near. He doesn't allowed us to use the workshop toilet, worried that the toilet might be dirty. Anyway, our desperate needs was overheard by the workshop owner so he offered us to use his home toilet, around 100 metres from the workshop. I wasn't really comfortable with the idea of having to borrow stranger's toilet but I was desperate I'll do it in a bush if I have too.

He asked his mother( I guess la, she's old lady by the way) who happened to sell coconut juice by the opposite side of the road to take us home. She was having a customer at that time so I signaled her that I can wait. To my surprise, she asked her customer to wait and she running towards me barefoot and lead us the way. Once we reached, she showed us the toilet and guarded the door for us. She even waited for us to finish and sent us back to the workshop safely before returning to her coconut stall, although I repeatedly said that we can find our way back on our own. Truth be told, their home was very minimally equipped with an old 3 seater rattan sofa, a table and that's about it. They don't even own TV, but their toilet was very clean.

I am touched and most importantly, I felt ashamed. My home was far more luxurious than hers but I don't think I'll ever let strangers out of nowhere come inside and take a pee in my toilet. Her home was indeed small but it goes without saying that her heart was bigger than Titanic.

Now, let me share few photos of Colombo City and let 'em all tell you the story..



:: Sri Lanka main religion is Buddhism, hence there's so many Buddhist temples like this around the city and around the nation ::


:: Of course, there's a mosque too since Islam was considered among the major religion in Sri Lanka besides Buddha. They even have Sri Lanka Malay that speaks bahasa melayu. Of course their bahasa are a bit vary from ours but I can say it's about 65 % similarity ::

:: Old train or was it called locomotive? ::

:: Local girl with traditional attire ::

:: Government building... errr I think ::



:: Colombo Fort ::




:: Strolling around the old fort. Sri Lanka's climate was quite similar to Malaysia with 32 degree C at most but it's very windy so although it may look like it's hot in this photo, we didn't sweat at all ::



:: Playing and running their heart out ::



:: I was throwing garbage when the wordings on the bin caught my attention. ELAKKAN BAHAN BERBARA. So I studied the whole bin. Mawar Utara Sdn Bhd, you certainly did Malaysian proud. Who would ever thought I could find Malaysian made dustbin in the middle of Colombo? ::

Our next destination was Gem Shop. Honestly, I wasn't very excited as I've mentioned earlier, I am not into gem stones, unlike my husband. I even told him that I don't want anything so he can have whatever he want and need not worry about me. I'll tell him if I see anything I like but don't worry much since I'm pretty sure I will come out from the shop with nothing. True enough, woman will always be a woman kah kah kah. Yang beriya taknak ape ape ni yang ended up lebih sudu dari kuah hahahhaha... Takpe lah, sesekali kan. It's not like we came to Sri Lanka everyday.

:: Some of the treated stones. They have everything from the cheapest to the most expensive stones. From pearl, topaz to ruby, blue sapphire and diamonds. I learned so much about stones that day ::

:: The gemologist named Rahman was doing some calculation for some stuffs that I like. Unfortunately for me but fortunately for my husband,we can't afford most of the stuff they have there huhuhu. I had checked if they can take 2 kids as a payment but they said they can't :(.... I am afraid to drink the complimentary tea but the gemologist assured me that there's no obligations to buy even after I licked their cup off hahaha. They just love their stones, their history and their country so much so they go extra miles in explaining and showing us the beauty of their stones, even though we might not a potential customer. One respected value among many of Sri Lankan ::

P/S : If you ever buying gem stones in Sri Lanka, please make sure they come with certification certified by State Gem Corporation of Sri Lanka. Check with your tour guide as they should know which shop is certified and which reseller's aren't

:: The stones are so precious, they even have special tool/twizzer to hold the stones.

As I was snapping away, the guy Rahman told me I should take picture with the most expensive jewelery ever made by them. Let me just post a picture of the beauty piece itself because the one taken with my face in it have word envy written all over my face.



:: This necklace, my friend, worth KD 25000. Alahhhh baru RM 275 000 ha ha ha...It was ordered by a very rich Sri Lankan man for her one and only daughter's wedding. It was blue sapphire encircled by diamonds with chain made of diamonds. *cry a river* His daughter is surely one very lucky young lady; As I said, I'm green with envy ::

:: Erin dapat bapak angkat baru ::

Moving on, we proceed to Barefoot and ODEL. A must places to visit if you ever come to Colombo. You can find all about Barefoot here. No photographing was allowed inside so I just snapped a picture outside their boutique and at the cafe area. Most of the outlets here came with their own cafe, which is to me, very convenient. We, mommy can shop to our heart content and father and the kids can relax outside comfortably while having their juices and snacks. Win-win situation.


:: Another part of the cafe ::




:: Very nice looking antique wooden door ::





:: Leather seat, local product of Sri Lanka ::


I bought hand woven cotton backpacks for the girls and got my self a piece of linen salwar which I will post in my next next post. My husband apparently had his mind left at the gem shop earlier so everything in here appeared uninteresting to him. It's for the better since I can used up his portion of budget for me hehehe.

I don't have much picture in ODEL since I was busy in and out the fitting room. ODEL was one of the top factory outlet in Colombo and they're widely known for high quality cotton clothing line. However, they also have houseware, tea, stationaries, toys, cafe and souvenirs section too, all under one roof.

That's pretty much about my first half day at Colombo. After done at ODEL, we proceed our journey headed South. To the coastal side of Colombo.

Before closing, I'll share with you one photo, a teaser of our sanctuary for the next 2 days Insya Allah.















Ehhhh ehhh kata satu, ni pesal tiga lak?


I am in good mood plus bersedekah itu amalan mulia :)


You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images