My little but promising Arabic progress

4 months passed gone by.. Needless to say, I've managed to picked up few if not many, Arabic words I really like to share with all of u....

4 months passed gone by.. Needless to say, I've managed to picked up few if not many, Arabic words I really like to share with all of u.. Sharing is caring ..


All these words are commonly use during daily speaking.. Some taught by En Muddy, some I learned from TV, mainly from Alis cartoon channel kah kah kah.. So here they are, hopefully it gives you benefit someday.. U might find some words different from what u already knew coz they have so many accents/slang.

Thank you - Shukraan/Mashkoor .. shukran was most widely and commonly used here

Thank you very much - Shukran jazeelan

which you may reply with

Welcome - Afwan/Hala...Afwan was commonly used

Nama saya/my name is - Ismi or as simple as anaa

Saya mahu/ I want - Anaa Urid

Tidor/ sleep - Nuum

Good bye - Illa liqa'

No/Tidak - La'

Hello/Hai - Marhaba

which appropriate reply is

Hello ( in reply) - Marhabteyn

How are you ? - Kayf haalak for male... kayf haalik for female (pronounced as kaif haalak)

0 till 10 - Sifir, Waahid, Ithnayn, Thalaatha, Araba'a, Khamsa, Sitta, Saba'a,
Thamaanya, Tiss'a, Ashra

1/2 - Nuus ( pronounced as nus) . Exp : U at market bargaining for fish and
the seller told U, Dinar nus, what he meant was KD 1.500.

{ This is, for info, Nus }

1/4 - Ruba' ( pronounced as rubaq) Exp : same scenario.. u bargaining for
XXL size prawn you've been wanting :
Eksyen Prawn Seller : Two dinar Rubaq ( KD 2.250)
Cheapskate U : two dinar !
Eksyen Prawn Seller : Two dinar rubaq !!!!! Khalasss...
Cheapskate U : Two dinar !!! Khalasss .. or Anaa go somewhere else
Eksyen Prawn Seller : La'.. La' .. * geleng geleng kepala*

There you go! One failed bargain attempt. No prawn this week.. *sigh*

{ Meet rubaq }
Done/settle - Khalass

Go, go go ( in insisted tone) - Yalla yalla yalla ( clue : The Hurt locker scene, where the hero ask the kid to act as goalie)

Go, go go ( in harsher tone) - A'di a'di a'di ( Let say u were driving, there's pedestrian wanting
to cross the road but hesitate to do so. U wave ur hand,
signalling them to cross and say A'di a'di a'di...

Come come come - Ta'al Ta'al Ta'al ( Kids playing in playground, U fidgeting, biting ur nail coz there's 70 % ZARA sale going on downstairs, so to urged your kids to stop play, u said ta'al ta'al ta'al.. ZARA awaits for no one hehe..

Pergi main main/Go n play - Ruh mini mini

Go/pergi - Ruh

Jam/ clock - Saat

Mungkin/maybe - Mungkin .. same as malay

Kangkung - kangkung also in Arabic

Wahai - Ya

normally used when speaking to elder people, out of respect tone. Exp : Ya Am Zakari.. ( wahai pakcik Zakaria )

Kulit - Gilt ( pronounced as guilt)

There's story behind our discovery about word gilt.. U see, we always buy our chicken at Al-Kout Mall where the seller just knows how we want our chicken to be processed. Cut into 8 parts, with skin on. However, sometimes, it is such non-economical to go Al-Kout just to get 1 chicken hence we will buy it from the chicken shop few blocks from my house. The problem is the seller dun speak English and I started to believe that he dun understand language signs either. He kept de-skinned my chicken even I've told him not too. Fried chicken without skin was just not happening okeh... So that's about it. En Muddy went office the next day, asked his colleague what skin called in Arab and ever since... I always had chicken with skin ... Just simply say

"Anaa urid gilt ! U take off my chicken gilt, I'll take off ur gilt myself " .. kah kah kah

Okay, the latter part of the sentence normally remained in my heart and my throat most of the time hehe...

Last but not least ,

Traffic light/lampu isyarat - Isyarat tul muluk ( Isyarat is traffic light, I think.. tul muluk i am not yet to discover what does it exactly means. This is one sentence from spacetoon song hahaha)

P/S : My arabic may be in-accurate here.. I never went to any formal class... so anyone happened to stumble on this page, are welcome to correct me. That's, after all...the fun of learning ....

Illa liqa'.............................

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images