Iftar event @ Malaysian Embassy - 13th Aug 2010

It was weekly event, so far that I'm aware, for Malaysian Embassy to host Iftar followed by Terawih prayer session for Malaysian working...

It was weekly event, so far that I'm aware, for Malaysian Embassy to host Iftar followed by Terawih prayer session for Malaysian working and staying in Q8.


Of course, as a newcomer, this is one opportunity we would like not to miss. As embarrassing as it could be, this is my 1st time after 4 months here, stepping my foot in Malaysian Embassy's soil, actually.

I used to have light conversation with husband at home and there's this one time he's doing emergency evacuation drill on me. He asked me what would I do or go if, God forbid, Q8 got invaded again, by Iraq or other countries, and he is not at home, during the hit. Ahhh easy mahh... I answered it without thinking, with a very proud tone, and as confident as I can " I'll take kids and run to Embassy to seek shelter "

Then, came next questions, a very good one indeed.

" Where's the Embassy? Do you know where is it? Not all taxi driver knows where's Malaysian Embassy? Even the embassy people are not aware of your existence here, as in technically, you're not registered with them, just yet. So basically, to them, you're not exist"

He sealed my big mouth right there and then. So, that is among the reason I wouldn't want to miss my chance to get to know my Embassy, specially during event like this. furthermore, who knows, they might serve Nasi Lemak * wink wink wink * *wiping saliva*

En Muddy was working day shift on that day, hence we need to go straight away after he's back, by cab of course. Definitely we would have to break fast in cab as Malaysian Embassy located near Kuwait City, quite a distant from my home. However, Zakaria ( the company driver, May Allah blessed him for his kindness) volunteered to send us to Embassy, which of course, we say NO at first. The thing is, they will reach my place around 6 pm, then Zakaria need to send another group home to Fintas 1st, then send us to Embassy. I just dun have a heart to say yes, since he definitely would miss his break fast. Needless to say, he insisted, or shall I say kinda decided to send us anyway, despite our hesitation. Apa nak kata, kecik tapak tgn, padang pasir kami tadahkan. How could we ever repay him ? He's always been there for us. He's the one helped us during our relocation, and he's been helping us many times before and after relocation.

Ohhh there's something I can do actually. I can make him something for him to eat during break fast, if by any chance we did not make it in time. That's the least I could do. I've decided to make something familiar to him, which is Sambosa :). Better not surprised him with Serimuka or Kaswi ( like I know how to do any of the kueh kann kah kah kah. Contoh tak nak kalah ni, kueh hebat2 jek) else my kueh will end up in garbage bin hehe..

{ Sambosa/Samosa filling}

{ I used Sambosa leaves instead of popiah leaves. Not much different I must say }

{ Finally, my plastic samosa's skill was put to good use. Not like last time, this time, my samosas is edible one }

{ Bekal utk Pakcik Zakaria yg baik hati. Please excuse kulit samosa yg menggerutu tuh, kelam kabut bersiap since En Muddy dh call nk sampai, tu yang minyak terlebey panas hahah}

Once they reached, En Muddy naik kejap, change his uniform to proper baju melayu and off we go. Punye laju la Am Zakari bawak, by 6.25 we already there.

{Unfortunately, I didn't bring any Baju kurung for them, but I brought mine like 5 of it hahaha. Bad mummy ! Bad mummy ! This baju kurung was courtesy of Ayu , baju kurung Irdina yang dh tak muat pakai, given to the girls during Irdina's birthday few months back. Alhamdullilah muat2.. Syukran Jazeelan Auntie Ayu}

When we arrived, almost everyone has arrived and waiting for masuk nyer waktu berbuke, which arrived shortly after that.

{ Erin nye waktu berbuka ikut time London, so de dh berbuka awal2 dgn samosa }

Adzan performed by one of Malaysian student here. Then everyone had drinks and a bite of kueh mueh and cakes, brought by kaum kaum ibu yang lain. I didn't contribute any apparently, since I didn't know it was potluck event. It turned out that they will eat light food 1st(mostly homemade food brought by fellow kind-hearted Malaysians), and then perform Maghrib prayer secara berjemaah. After prayer then only we will move to Multipurpose Hall for some heavy food.

Owhhhhh I seeeeee !

Nampak sgt kat rumah, azan jek trus terkam nasik kan....hahahhaa... Anyway, for that day event, the foods was catered from Mughal Mahal Restaurant. Beriyani, tandoori, kebab and the gangs. There goes my nasik lemak dream into the drain. Who ask me to set expectation so high ? I actually thinking that the food will be prepared by Ambassador's cook from Malaysia or something haha.. Shame on me, orang dah jemput mkn dah cukup bagus eh ! Well, I guess I'm not the only frustrated Malaysian that day as I saw few Ahh-no-nasi-lemak-mehh faces. One of them was Lim. Once I saw him peeking over the serving dishes and soon have this disappointed reaction on his face, I quickly asked " Lim, carik nasik Lemak ehh ?? " to which he replied " Ya larrr, I thot ade nasik lemak " . Kahkahkahkah we're one total bunch of Nasik Lemak cravers. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind at all. Thank you Allah, at least there's food laid on our table. I am nothing but grateful even if they serve only kuih2 that day.

{ In front of Embassy's office entrance. It is illegal to snap picture outside embassy main gate, u can get caught. Security reason I supposed. As long as u in embassy compounds, cam-whoring is no crime. From L-R : Stella, Alis, Erin, Rachel and Faris }

I didn't snap any photo during makan-makan session because no one did, from my observation, except for official photographer, I guess. I think it's allowed to take picture during the event, cuma perasaan segan menebal since everyone was practically sitting and minding their own business. Furthermore, when you had your ambassador with title Datuk and at least 4 doctors in the same room with you, You Behave ! You dun go cam-whoring with peace sign each and every time your mouth is food-free.

After everyone got bloated, it's time for Terawih, lead by Malaysian student. Terawih lasted for almost 1 1/2 hour or so, then it's time to bid farewell. Before leaving the embassy, it's a must to take photo with none than others but our ever so famous Jalur Gemilang. The flag was a total superstar that day, people actually queuing for turn hahah. Me on other hand, wanting a photo to be submit to "Salam Lebaran dari perantauan column" in any Malaysian paper. Preferably with us standing beside/in-front something that represent Q8. Been wanting to do that since I was in primary. So kiasu ahhahaha....

{ Malaysian kids on the block. Half of them.}

{ Kami sekeluarga di Q8 ingin mengucapkan selamat Hari Raya kepada atuk nenek di Setiawangsa, Tokwan Tokki di Besut, jiran tetangga di Puchong dan sedara mara rakan taulan jauh dekat yang mengenali kami, di mana jua anda berada. Tak lupe kepada Ibu Zah dan Papa Ahmad Syah dgn ucapan Maaf Zahir dan Batin.Siapalah kami tanpa anda semua. HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHHAHA Geli tiok den !}

{ Lim pun amik gamba, stock utk Chinese New Year nye ucapan dari perantauan, next year. Dua anak melayu tu props}

Anyway, I had the opportunity to chat, long talk actually with 1st Malaysian here in Q8. She's a doctor working with Ministry of Health for the pass 20 years, she's even here during the Gulf War. She said, she witnessed with her own eyes, missiles by Iraq passed by his verandah and hit Mangaf Ferry Terminal. It may too much a talk over a berbuke time, but hey ! U dun get to hear this kind of experiences everyday. Not forgetting, I had a nice chat with one of malay lady doctor who have been staying here in Q8 for 11 years, with her own version of stories of course. Enough said that I get a good insider tip from people who spent half of their life here. Owhh we had a lot of Malaysian doctors here. It's proven only one thing, the fact that Malaysian doctors are equally as good as international doctors. Me very proud citizen. Very inspiring evening indeed.

So till later peeps. Selamat bersahur dan selamat berbuka.

P/S : Husband does look like some Arabian men in above picture with his beard and all ehh. In glance, people might think I'm married some local men heheh...

PP/S : Talking bout beard, I've recently googled on some mutton chop recipe and the page lead me to image of a man with beard and side burn. Pfffttt . Turned out, there's one side burn style called mutton chop. Famous one indeed. Ayoyoyoyo never heard of this before, I laugh my butt out. So if anyone out there doesn't know this funny fact, now u know :) :)

PP/S : I love you... ehhhh tetiba....

You Might Also Like

0 thoughts

Flickr Images